Neck Lift Surgery
A Lower Rhytidectomy (Neck Lift) is a surgical procedure designed to address signs of aging in the neck and jawline. Dr. John Michael Thomassen is a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon who performs Neck Lifts at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale.
Reasons People Choose to Have a Neck Lift
Individuals who notice that they have excessive wrinkling in the skin on their neck, a double chin, ‘turkey wattle’ and/or jowl lines will sometimes choose to have a Neck Lift.
Various factors cause the loss of youthful contours in the neck and face. These factors include environmental conditions, genetics, gravity and stress.
Issues a Lower Rhytidectomy Can Address
A Neck Lift can address:
- Loose skin on the neck.
- Fatty deposits beneath the chin.
- The excess fat and relaxed skin that creates the jowls on the lower portion of the face.
- Muscle bands on the neck (caused by abnormal contours).
An Ideal Candidate for a Neck Lift in Fort Lauderdale
A good candidate for a Lower Rhytidectomy is:
- An individual who has realistic expectations and a positive outlook as to what a Neck Lift can accomplish.
- A healthy individual who does not smoke.
A Neck Lift Consultation with Dr. Thomassen in Fort Lauderdale – What to Expect
During their Lower Rhytidectomy consultation, patients should be prepared to discuss their surgical goals. Dr. Thomassen will want to know if the patient has any medical conditions, has previously had medical treatments, surgeries and/or has allergies to any medications. Patients should bring a list of their current medications, including vitamins and herbal supplements with them to their initial consultation; furthermore, patients should be prepared to discuss whether they smoke, drink alcohol and/or use illicit drugs.
Dr. Thomassen may:
- Take pictures to use as reference and for comparison purposes.
- Examine and measure the patient’s face.
- Evaluate the patient’s general health, ask questions about any pre-existing medical conditions and address risk factors.
- Discuss the patient’s rejuvenation options, his recommended course of treatment and which type of anesthesia he feels best suits the needs of the patient.
Preparing for a Neck Lift in Fort Lauderdale
Preparation for a Lower Rhytidectomy may require that the patient:
- Visit his or her general practitioner for a medical evaluation.
- Have lab tests, which may include blood work.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin and herbal supplements as some of these can increase the incidence of bleeding.
- Stop smoking.
- Adjust current medications.
- Take certain medications prior to their Lower Rhytidectomy.
Dr. Thomassen performs both Traditional and Limited Incision Neck Lifts at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale. Both of these procedures are performed on an outpatient basis; therefore, patients need to bring a driver with them on the day of their surgery. In addition, Dr. Thomassen recommends that patients have someone stay with them the night following their Lower Rhytidectomy procedure.
Neck Lift in Fort Lauderdale – The Procedure
To ensure patients remain comfortable throughout their Neck Lift surgery, medications are administered via general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
2. Making the Incision
The type of incision Dr. Thomassen chooses to make depends on whether the patient is having a Limited Incision Lower Rhytidectomy or a Traditional Neck Lift.
3. Closing the Incisions
Incisions are closed via sutures and/or skin glue. Dr. Thomassen may use dissolving sutures or sutures that need to be removed at his office in Fort Lauderdale several days following the Neck Lift procedure.
*A thin tube may be placed directly beneath the skin to drain away excess fluid and blood. This tube will be removed at Dr. Thomassen’s Fort Lauderdale office several days after the procedure.
4. Bandage Application
To minimize bruising and swelling, directly after the Lower Rhytidectomy, Dr. Thomassen may gently place a bandage around the patient’s neck and face.
5. Post-Op Instructions
Patients receive instructions pertaining to:
- Properly caring for the surgical site and drains.
- Which medications he or she can take orally or apply to their incisions to aid in healing and reduce the likelihood of infection.
- What signs to look for that indicate medical attention is necessary.
- When the patient is to return for his or her follow-up visit.
6. Recovering from a Lower Rhytidectomy
- The surgical incisions should not be subjected to abrasion, excessive force or motion as they heal.
- Patients need to avoid wearing clothing that must be pulled over their head.
- Patients need to keep their head straight and elevated above their heart.
- Patients should never apply ice to their neck: This may compromise blood flow, resulting in skin death.
7. Neck Lift Results
Incision lines may take up to six months to mature and it may take several weeks for the swelling to completely subside. Once the incisions are fully healed, they are usually well concealed within the hairline and the ears’ natural contours. As the bruising and swelling subside, the improvements achieved become evident. Patients enjoy a more youthful, rested appearance.
The Traditional Lower Rhytidectomy
- The Traditional Lower Rhytidectomy incision generally begins within the hairline at the sideburn level continuing down around the ear, ending in the posterior hair. Dr. Thomassen may also sculpt or redistribute fat from the neck and jowls.
- The tissue beneath the skin on the neck is repositioned; in addition, the platysma muscle may be tightened.
- Dr. Thomassen redrapes the skin over the newly uplifted contours and trims away the excess skin.
- To perform liposuction and repair the muscle, another incision may be made beneath the chin.
A Limited Incision Lower Rhytidectomy
If Dr. Thomassen is performing a limited incision Neck Lift at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale, the patient may receive incisions just around the ear; the results of this type of Neck Lift are more limited than can be achieved with a traditional Neck Lift.
Contact Thomassen Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale
If you are interested in learning more about the Neck Lift procedures available at Thomassen Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale, contact the office today. We look forward to meeting you.
- Brow Lift
- Chin Implants
- Ear Surgery
- Eyelid Surgery
- Facial Implant Surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Neck Lift Surgery
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery)