What is a Brow Lift?
Also known as a forehead lift, a brow lift minimizes the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose; improves what are commonly referred to as frown lines; and repositions a low or sagging brow region.
Enhancing your appearance with a Brow Lift
If you are bothered by expression lines or other signs of aging in the brow region, a brow lift may be right for you. A brow lift:
- Minimizes the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose, between the eyes
- Improves what are commonly referred to as frown lines, vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows
- Repositions a low or sagging brow that is hooding the upper eyelid
- Raises the eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position
Rejuvenation procedures typically performed in conjunction with a brow lift include:
- Eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes
- Facelift to correct aging changes in the mid- to lower face and neck regions
- Skin resurfacing techniques
A brow lift is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image. Brow lift surgery is a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You don’t smoke
- You have a positive outlook and specific, but realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
Brow Lift: Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Brow Lift: Step 2 – The incision
A brow lift may sometimes be performed using an endoscope (surgical video device) and special instruments placed through small incisions made within the hairline. This allows the tissue and muscle beneath the skin to be repositioned, altered or removed, correcting the source of visible creases and furrows in the forehead.
Correction of a low-positioned or sagging brow may be made with or without the use of an endoscope through incisions at the temples and in the scalp.
This technique may be done in conjunction with incisions hidden within the natural crease of the upper eyelids to eliminate frown lines between the brows, on or above the bridge of the nose.
An alternative brow lift technique is the coronal brow lift. The coronal brow lift can pinpoint specific regions of the brow to correct.
This technique involves an incision from ear to ear, lifting the forehead and removing excess skin from the scalp.
Recovery time is often longer than the endoscopic brow lift due to the size of the incision.
The incision lines from a brow lift are well concealed within the hair or natural contours of the face unless they are placed at the hairline to shorten the forehead.
Results appear gradually as swelling and bruising subside to reveal smoother forehead skin and a more youthful, restful appearance.
Brow Lift: Step 3 – Closing the incisions
Brow lift incisions typically are closed with:
- Removable or absorbable sutures
- Skin adhesives
- Surgical tape
- Special clips
Brow Lift: Step 4 – See the results
Brow elevation may be maintained by the use of:
- Permanent sutures
- Small surgical screws
- Absorbable fixation device placed inconspicuously at the temple
Brow Lift results will be long-lasting
Initial wound healing may take 5 to 10 days, at which time any sutures or clips will be removed. You will be ready to return to work and normal activity at this time. Cosmetics can camouflage any bruising that remains.
Healing will continue for several weeks as the swelling dissipates and incision lines refine and fade and it may take several months for your complete recovery.
Life-long sun protection will help to maintain your rejuvenated appearance by minimizing photo-aging or sun damage. In addition, a healthy lifestyle will also help extend the results of your rejuvenated, more youthful appearance.
Contact Us Today!
Brow Lift Surgery with Dr. John Michael Thomassen
The position of an individual’s brow directly affects how young and refreshed he or she appears to be; furthermore, a sunken brow can cause an individual to appear unhappy. However, a Brow Lift (Forehead Lift) can address these issues; thus, providing individuals with a more youthful, refreshed appearance. Dr. John Michael Thomassen is a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Fort Lauderdale. He frequently performs these procedures at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale. A Brow Lift can be used to diminish the visible creases across the forehead as well as the wrinkles that develop on the upper section of the nasal bridge. This procedure can also be used to reposition a drooping brow and lessen the appearance of the vertical lines that commonly occur between the eyebrows (frown lines).
The Ideal Candidate for a Brow Lift
Both men and women choose to have Brow Lifts with Dr. Thomassen at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale.
A good candidate for a Brow Lift is a physically healthy individual who has:
- Drooping or excess eyelid skin.
- Low-set or falling brows.
- Crow’s feet or deep furrows in the forehead.
- Realistic expectations.
A Brow Lift Initial Consultation in Fort Lauderdale – What Patients Should Expect
- Patients should be prepared to discuss their medical history, including any treatments they have received and surgeries they have had.
- Dr. Thomassen needs to know if the patient is taking medications, vitamins and/or herbal supplements. Many patients find it helpful to bring a list of their medications with them to their initial consultation. The list should include the name, the strength and the number of times the patient takes the medication/vitamin and/or herbal supplement each day. Furthermore, patients should inform Dr. Thomassen if they have any drug and/or latex allergies.
- If a patient smokes, drinks alcoholic beverages or uses recreational substances, the patient needs to provide information related to his or her use of these substances as well.
- Prior to his or her initial consultation, the patient should have an idea as to what he or she would like to accomplish with a Brow Lift.
During the initial consultation, Dr. Thomassen may:
- Take photos to use as reference and for comparison purposes following the procedure.
- Create a treatment plan designed to provide the patient with optimal results.
- Discuss expected outcomes.
- Recommend the type of anesthesia he feels best suits the patient’s needs.
- Request that the patient visit his or her general practitioner to have a physical prior to the procedure.
- Discuss other procedures that can be combined with a Brow Lift at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale.
The Day of Surgery
A Brow Lift is an outpatient procedure. Patients receive anesthesia; therefore, patients are not permitted to drive themselves home after their procedure at Dr. Thomassen’s surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale. Consequently, patients need to bring a licensed driver with them on the day of their procedure.
A Brow Lift generally takes from two to three hours: The length of time necessary depends on the technique being utilized and whether several procedures are being completed during the same surgery.
Patients receive medications to ensure they remain comfortable throughout their procedure: Available options include general anesthesia and intravenous sedation. Dr. Thomassen discusses the type of anesthesia he feels will serve the patient best prior to his or her Brow Lift procedure at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale.
2. Making the Incisions
Endoscopic Brow Lift
Sometimes, Dr. Thomassen uses a surgical video device (endoscope) and specially designed instruments to perform a Brow Lift. The endoscope and these instruments are placed through tiny incisions that are made within the patient’s hairline. These tiny incisions allow Dr. Thomassen to reposition, remove or alter the muscle and tissue beneath the skin are responsible for creating the deep furrows and visible creases.
Correcting a drooping or low-positioned brow can be accomplished with or without an endoscope via incisions made in the scalp and at each temple.
Eliminating the frown lines located between the brows and on or above the nasal bridge requires that Dr. Thomassen makes incisions within the natural crease of the patient’s upper eyelids: Placing the incisions within these natural creases ensures that they remain hidden.
The Coronal Brow Lift
If a patient needs specific regions of his or her brow corrected, Dr. Thomassen can perform a Coronal Brow Lift. This method involves creating an incision across the scalp, from one ear to the other. During this procedure, excess skin is removed from the scalp. Due to the size of the incision, it takes patients longer to recover from a Coronal Brow Lift than it does from an endoscopic procedure.
3. Maintaining Brow Elevation
In order to maintain the elevation of the brow, Dr. Thomassen may use an absorbable fixation device (discreetly hidden at the temple), permanent sutures or tiny surgical screws.
4. Closing the Incisions
Dr. Thomassen typically closes Brow Lift incisions with skin adhesives, special clips, absorbable or removable sutures and surgical tape.
5. Recovering from a Brow Lift
The initial healing process takes anywhere from five to ten days. Some discomfort is likely; however, Dr. Thomassen may recommend or provide the patient with medication.
6. Office Visit to Remove Sutures and/or Clips
Once the wounds have healed, patients will return to Dr. Thomassen’s office to have their clips and/or sutures removed. Once these are removed, patients can return to work and resume their normal daily activities. If any bruising remains, patients can camouflage them with cosmetics.
7. The Results
Results are not immediately visible. They appear gradually as the bruising and inflammation subside. Once these symptoms subside, patients notice that their forehead is smoother and they appear well-rested and more youthful.
Although complete scar maturation takes some time, the majority of scars are well healed within three weeks of the Brow Lift procedure in Fort Lauderdale. The results attained via a Brow Lift with Dr. Thomassen in Fort Lauderdale are long-lasting.
If you are interested in learning more about the rejuvenating surgeries, minimally-invasive procedures and innovative products that Dr. John Michael Thomassen offers at Thomassen Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale, contact the office today. We look forward to helping you regain the youthful, fresh appearance everyone desires.
- Brow Lift
- Chin Implants
- Ear Surgery
- Eyelid Surgery
- Facial Implant Surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Neck Lift Surgery
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery)